Vision of the Cesis castle complex marks one of the possibilities for development, including in the active turnover not only the castle ruins, but also the bailey. By reconstructing the yard and the Gallery, access to the main levels of former wings will be established. Also it will become possible to open to the visitors the South tower, the North tower and the West tower in the Bailey.

Construction of the Cesis (Wenden) Castle has begun by the beginning of XIIIth century. By the beginning of XVth century it was completed as so called castella, where 4 wings formed the central courtyard. During the final reconstruction by the end of XVth – beginning of XVIth century its volume was adjusted for the needs of the fire weapons and several towers were constructed. The castle is in the form of ruins since 1703, when it was not restored after the fire. After construction of the so called New manor house, the ruins of the former castle were integrated in romantic park.

Vision of the Cesis castle complex marks one of the possibilities for development, including in the active turnover not only the castle ruins, but also the bailey. By reconstructing the yard and the Gallery, access to the main levels of former wings will be established. Also it will become possible to open to the visitors the South tower, the North tower and the West tower in the Bailey. Here also reconstruction of the renaisanse garden is proposed, intended to give an attractive addition to the complex.


The vision was started in 2004 and in a more elaborate presented to the Cesis City council in 2007. The underlaying ideas were used as a background for further preparation of the conservation projects for separate parts of the Castle.
– – –
Author of the vison: architect Artūrs Lapiņš
Digital model of the Castle: stud. arch. Brigita Bīviņa

This post is also available in: Latvian